Monday, September 21, 2009

Is the glass half full or half empty? A few days of reflection...



Well, after 1830 miles and 28 hours later, my brother and I finally made it to Pittsburg, TX where Mrs. B's cottage (aka my new home) awaited my arrival. The cottage is sweet, cozy, and huge, but the decor can go. It does give the cottage "character" per say, but my eyes begin to burn after looking at floral print for more than 5 hours or so. I love my landlord and my housekeeper (yes, you heard that right). The cottage is joined with the local B&B down the street that offers complimentary breakfast for their guests as well as a housekeeper. Her name is Corinna, and probably the most adorable woman ever! The first day I arrived, she came over to introduce herself and while I helped her finish cleaning, she told me a little bit about herself, her beautiful family, heritage, location of the local grocery store, and area lakes to visit. We finished the conversation by her offering me free, home cooked, Mexican dishes after her Wednesday night church events(mmmm enchiladas)! Don't worry, I plan to re-pay her back with some good ole' American delights! After she left, I looked at my brother and said she will be my mom away from home and I know it's only the beginning to a long and beautiful friendship.

On the downfall, I think the cottage and all it's amenities and perks that come along with it are the only great thing about this assignment. Pittsburg, TX is...well...small and uneventful. I have yet to see anyone my own age. Almost all of the "shops" in Pittsburg's "downtown" are vacated and dark, and the train is unbearable when it roars through the town right when I'm trying to get to sleep. In addition, the bugs are gigantic (everything is bigger in Texas right?). I will be lucky if my poor windshield makes it out of Texas without a crack or permanent bug guts. They are constantly splattering all over your windshield as you drive down the highway. I must also mention, that a BIRD hit my windshield too and left black markings on the hood of my poor Jetta! I also woke up to a cockroach lying upside down on my kitchen floor as I fixed myself some tea this morning...YUCK! Oh, and talk about roadkill...if people were not allowed to drive 70 mph on back roads and highways (not kidding, this is the speed limit), maybe we could slow down and allow those poor armadillos, skunks, squirrels, turtles, porcupines, and dogs (yes, 1 dog and 1 puppy :( ) to safely cross the road to the other side.

Aside from the town, I think I will have a tough time adjusting to my new facility. After doing some reflection on my drive home from my first day today, I realized how spoiled I really was at MGH. Hand hygiene and patient care was something that MGH would pride themselves on and I am thankful for this. There was maybe one hand disinfectant in each hallway of the facility; there was 1 located outside of each room at MGH. MGH offered a lot of support and supervision; I'm the only OT at this facility and delegate my work to two COTA's throughout the day. Insurance drives everything and I was lucky enough to have case management and administration offices handle that for me at MGH; I am responsible for all of this at my new facility. And to top everything off, my rehab manager called in sick today and no one in the department knew I was even hired!!! Yes, I felt like the new kid on the block and very very uncomfortable for the first time in a long time. I left work early (no one cared or seemed to notice) because there was no more work and needed to decompress for a bit. So, the second I sat in my car, tears began to form in my eyes. OK, I'll admit it, I cried. I cried because of my chaotic day, the fact that I missed my friends and family tremendously, and the fact that I was extremely overtired from traveling still. But as I drove home and approached Mrs. B's cottage, my tears stopped and I felt a sense of comfort as I stepped into my new home and looked at the ugly floral print...for the first time I was happy to see it!

It's amazing how unpleasant first impressions have the ability to look so beautiful and comforting later, with time... My point is, my first impressions of my new job and little town just need time and hopefully in the end, I'll be more sad than happy that my 4 months is up.

6 comments:

  1. behind all the ugliness there is hidden beauty and a lesson of tolerance. of course your first adventure wasnt going to be this amazing fulfilling experience, that is because there are so many places ahead of you that you will fall in love with and never want to leave. you are a strong woman for getting this far and just think, i a short few month or two you will be onto something new and exciting all over again. Your presence is missed and just remember to smile (it helps every time you want to cry)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new to this blogging Kris and already you write so beautifully!

    As I told you last night, your situation is VERY similar to mine and as you know I was in our hometown so even "home" can't always give you what you are looking for initially but now, 5 years later I am still there and we are looking to hire another full-time SLP and we just got electronic orders! Ha ha ha.

    It is so good to help you appreciate what you did have as well as to see what others don't. Plus, as your friend said, 4 months really will go by quickly and you will feel like you finally are content and it will be time to move again! For example, you are so lucky to have such a nice housing situation (despite the floral) and next time maybe the job will be great but the housing wont compare to this one. Another time, you will find both are great, etc. You will learn so much of what you want in the end when you do decide to settle down.

    Someone once said we have to have the "bad" or we would never appreciate the "good" and I think this is so true.

    You will be fine...easier said for someone not living it I know but you are such a dynamic person...it isn't possible for 4 months to completely suck for you...it isn't in your personality.

    Lots of love and wet kisses from Cole! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jenny and sister! I appreciated reading your thoughts and words of advice b/c you both are very true and I'm trying to see that. I miss you both and hope the Northeast is nice and cozy! xoox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please. please, please remove your address and town from the link in your blog, Kristi. There are weirdos out there who read blogs too, and we have to be careful not to give out too much information about ourselves. (Hope you don't mind that I stumbled upon your blog by reading Heather's Facebook comments. You've become a very pretty and adventuresome young woman. I'm not trying to intrude, just trying to make sure you're being careful.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Kristi - Sounds like your new adventure is off to a blazing start. Remember Texans do everything differently then New Englanders do! Take things one step at a time right now and give yourself time to adjust....you were sent there for a reason and now you just have to take a deep breath and look at the glass as half full! Glad to see you're blogging so we can follow you on your adventures...a housekeeper? lucky girl you are for a number of reasons....hang in there, it will get better.
    Karen and Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristi Kristi Kristi....as Jean said you have to be careful, you give out to much info, remember your not in your "safety zone", she is correct about other people, think when you write each time...please!
    Your first day you have to laugh though as I can see it all unfolding...remember I always told you to wash your hands as a child, and now you will remember...others do not have what we are lucky to have so as others said you may see worse before better but you will appreciate what you have...MORE! As Jenn said your personality will get you through it all and the next place will soon be upon you...as they say walk it others shoes before you judge and you will many times over with traveling and it only makes you a better person...life is not always greener on the other side...but we all know you will overcome every bump there is...the train, will you will probably miss it when you leave, and the flower print, well it'll remind you to stop and smell the roses!
    Take care and learn the Texas Two step! Yahooo!
    Love ya...be careful!!!!
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete