Sunday, September 13, 2009

"Now Kristi, why would you ever want to leave the best city and one of the best practicing hospitals in the U.S.?"

The above title was a question that a very dear friend of mine asked me the other day, which surprisingly took me a few minutes to respond to. Here I am only a few days left until I make one of the first biggest changes in my life, and I STILL ask myself this very question since the day I woke up in April as my plane landed in Boston, MA. I was just returning from an amazing vacation in Key West, FLA and was having a dream of myself running by the water, laughing, and feeling this intense emotion...I was incredibly happy. I felt like myself again...I remember waking up, disappointed that the dream was just a dream and instantly getting the very pit in my stomach that I felt for the past couple of years once I saw that Boston skyline everytime I returned from a Maine weekend. I told my mom about my dream, stressing how Key West gave me this very same feeling and I realized how happy I really can be and have not been for the past year or so. I remember her saying, "Kristi life is not always paradise..." I agreed with her, but my point was, I had not felt that level of contentment and happiness in a long time and I wanted it again. So, yes, maybe the beautiful sunsets, delicious cocktails, fun music, cute boys, and wonderful company (my best friend from college), and friendly faces from home (Ben, Chels, and Rob) helped to create that feeling for me...BUT I knew I was not happy anymore in Boston and it was time for a change. I returned to work the next day and tried to focus, but I was so excited to start my research. However, each time I tried to pull away from the thought of staying at MGH, I continued to feel like I was in a tug o' war. On one, heavily weighted side, I had the pull of my amazing colleagues, excellent learning opportunities, fabulous benefits, great salary, amazing family/friends within close proximity, and comfortable routine pulling me to the left and the thought of traveling throughout the U.S. every 3-4 months and experiencing some of the most beautiful places that no one has even experienced my age, to the right. For the 2 months following that time, I did extensive research, spoke to other traveling therapists, and made a list of pro's and con's before I made the decision to resign from Mass General Hospital. My biggest fear was that I was making the biggest mistake but then I learned to accept that we learn from our mistakes and you will not grow if you do not jump outside of your comfort zone. I am blessed that both my supervisor, colleagues, friends, and family were all incredibly supportive, which has made this transition easier on my conscious. So here I am today...days away from driving to my first assignment in Mount Pleasant, TX. I will be there for 4 months with the hopes of doing my 2nd assignmet in Colorado for the winter months.

So, Ned to answer your question, "When I finished college, I wanted to achieve two professional goals...work at MGH and become a traveling therapist and whichever order they came in, it was meant to be. I'm thankful for the opportunity I had to first work at MGH because I feel confident in my skills and feel I can work work anywhere...I am also no longer happy with who I became living in the city, so I need to see where I fit in and belong. Although each opportunity might not be all peaches and cream, at least I can be happy knowing that I experienced it somewhere new. "

Welcome to my blog and I look forward to your words of wisdom along the way...

4 comments:

  1. Your first comment and your first follower! LOL. My first blog suggestion...click on the link in the upper left corner of my blog (it says "The Cutest Blog on the Block") and pick a cute little background for your blog :)

    Glad you started one. It will be a good way to see some picks and keep in contact with you in your travels. You will find it theraputic too. I find it a good way to let my thoughts out and remember all the fun things (mine starts with my wedding goes through my pregnancy and now almost a year of Cole's life!)

    Good luck with your travels Kris. This IS what you need right now. You will learn so much and see so much. It will make you all the more ready to settle down when that time comes because you will have done a lot when you do. Hey, it gives you a better chance at finding Mr. Right too...you get to search the country for him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well my little girl....you always have been an adventureous person...."don't let the grass grow under crazy Kristi's feet".!!! Anyways this is the time to do traveling no commitements (just Cole) and like Jenn said you will do alright where ever you are, your like your sister and Dad make friends anywhere and can talk! Just remember we are always here and go search for MR. RIGHT!!!! Love you much and yes, we will miss you....
    Love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Kristi as I write this you are having emotions that you don't know how to respond to...you are looking at Cole with yearning eyes...he will not forget "Crazy Kristi!" His Grammy won't let him...if I have to I will drag you back here to see him! (I know I won't have to drag you). This is what you have been wanting to do so go without thinking twice. It is a change, but you deal well or appear to with change...your personality will take you there. Just remember who you are and remember "Mr. Right" is looking right at you, you just don't see him right now. We will be here waiting for you and happy for you, that you can and are doing what you want, now is the time. It will be hard to have you drive off tomorrow, but deep down I know it's what you want and it's time to use all that you learned...we are so proud of you, remember we love you and it will be uneventfull without you around, my little girl.....go make yourself known in Texas and remember home is always here for you, really!!!!
    Keep you smile and don't change anything about yourself. WE LOVE YOU....Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep us posted Kristi in your life in "Chicken Fest!!!" Remember it's just all what you make it and you will find some exciting times there...I think you scared Trent away! He, he...love ya and keep in touch...
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete