Wednesday, September 30, 2009

It is not about the place you are in, but the people that you are with that truly matters...




This is my very first Mt. Pleasant friend, Kristen! The day I met her, I went home and called my parents and told them that I made a friend! I felt like a kid again finishing her first day of school...But I am so incredibly thankful that I was introduced to her because she has made my time here much more enjoyable since last Thursday. If you remember from my previous post, I was very unhappy and not feeling good vibes from where I'm currently located. I knew we would develop a special friendship after she popped into my office (she's a speech therapist), introduced herself and proceeded to say that we should grab a drink after work. Our birthdays are two days apart...so this weekend we are having a big birthday bash to celebrate her 26th and my 27th (eek). If the weather permits, we plan on doing some jet skiing during the day with some BBQ'ing followed by listening to live music at a local seafood restaurant and then who knows. Anyway, a very true friend she already is and I feel like I have known her for years. This picture was taken infront of Lake Bob Sandlin, which is a 9400 acre lake surrounded by miles of state parks. This hidden gem is located just a few minutes from my cottage. It was absolutely gorgeous...pictures do not give this lake justice.
Anyway, as I hoped and prayed for, things are starting to look more positive...work is still work and frustrating at times because I still have not received a formal orientation; thus I have been left fending for myself. With each passing day, I am still so proud and thankful for the education and training I received from MGH and know that if I never started out there as a new clinician; I could never handle what I am currently dealing with today and for the next 4 months.
To finish up, I wanted to let you all know what I've been up to the past 8 days and all the things I've learned...until next time kids!
1. Texas vocabularly--> "Fixin" means "getting ready, preparing"
"Do what?" means "what did you say?"
"Reckon" means "I agree or I know."
"Shootfire" means "of course!"
"Cussing" means "swearing" and NEVER EVER say goddamn around anyone from Texas, they find it very offensive (understandably so).
2. Foods I've tried--> Aligator Sausage (sooo delicious!), Boutin Balls (hushpuppy like fried balls full of rice, crawfish, crab meat, cajun spices, and boudin). You will never find them in the Northeast so I might have to order some to take back with me, b/c they are to die for! and lastly, frog Legs...yes, I know, scary!
3. Things I've learned about Texans: THEY ALL LOVE WHISKEY! Everyone smokes, but they all know how to have a good time and are incredibly polite and welcoming!







3 comments:

  1. You ate my froggie friends?!

    Glad things are looking up for you Kris but I knew they would. Us speech therapists are friendly ones ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We knew you would make friends fast...though work is not up to par, then the friends and place your living is, can't have everything I guess...!
    Glad you are trying different foods and stay away from the cigerette's nasty habit, though your Dad would fit in with the whiskey!
    Keep us posted on the changes and new events!
    Love ya
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. hiya!
    I'm glad you're finally finding your niche. I know you're having bits of an up & down, but you'll get through it, you always do :) Although, your friends and family are physically far away, we're always here for you no matter what. Love you and thinking of you everyday! xo

    ReplyDelete