Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Nothing strikes fear in Texans like a Yankee with a U-Haul...

After living in the 2nd largest state in America for nearly 8 weeks (Texas, if you didn't already know)...I've heard numerous jokes about Yankees. I think the first thing that comes out of anyone's mouth is, "You're not from around here are you?" I'm currently residing in the Hill Country of Texas, also known as "Anti-Yankeeville." Prior to living in HIll Country, I was living in Redneck-ville...also another Anti-Yankee territory. I have yet to live in the cities where cultures blend, people are more open minded and liberal. I lived in that for 3.5 years, which is why I'm thankful for being placed in the rural towns, because I've gained a whole new perspective on things and appreciate how hard these folks work down here. I've learned, that really, the only difference between a Southerner and a Yankee is the manners, the weather, and the food. The people in the south address everyone as "Yes/No Ma'am" or "Yes/No Sir." No one ever "cusses" down here, as the southerners would say vs. "swearing." Also, the younger men and of course older gentleman open all doors for you and allow you to get off the elevator before they do. I think the last time a guy did that for me was my Dad. Furthermore, NO ONE ever honks their horn, lets you cross the street, and does not have road rage. So, yes, the southerners are more well-mannered than us Yankees. The weather, well the Northeast wins there. I love nothing more than having 4 seasons. We have the beautiful coastline too and gorgeous moutains. The south, well they have large bugs, flat land (for the most part), a lot of road kill, a lot of humidity, tons of rain in the fall, and tornados! The food, well now, that's a tough one...I love Mexican food. You cannot get good, spicey, authentic Mexican food in the Northeast. It is all American-ized. Even the chain Mexican restaurants down here have better food than the same chain restaurant up North. The food is full of fat and who doesn't like fattening food? It's comfort and makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside and then horrible when I'm trying to run it off on the treadmill the next morning. Whenever I reach for milk at the grocery store, the skim milk on the shelf is overflowing and the whole milk is almost gone! But when I think back to living in the Northeast, I feel as though we have many different types of food that they just cannot master down here...like homemade Apple pie with Macintosh apples (they do not exist down here), Italian food, good quality beer, sushi, Thai food, and organic produce (the word organic does not exist down here!). I could go on and on, so yes, the Yankees win for this category too. So looking back on this post, I guess the Yankees do still kick butt...

My car hasn't been keyed yet, so I guess I'm fitting in pretty well or just keeping my mouth shut so the local folks do not hear my voice that lacks a thick, strong accent.

2 comments:

  1. I miss those manners! My friend from college (Ben) was the only one who did stuff like that for me besides Dad of course! I agree with you though, I would definitely miss the 4 seasons! Although this year, for some reason, I am NOT looking forward to Winter this year! I would be interested to hear what the complain about us? Is it our lack of manners? I would agree with them on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mainers are laid back and hard workers who are noted for their work ethics...I love the seasons as far as spring summer and fall!
    They have to meet Mainers before they can judge us....everyone is not what they picture!
    Glad you getting a taste of others lives...good for the soul...Happy Thanksgiving Kristi from all of your Mainers!
    Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete