Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving from Texas!

As I sit in my apartment tonight, the eve before Thanksgiving day...I think about all the many things I am thankful for in life. It is so easy to go about our day in a fast forward motion, that we often forget to stop and tell someone how much we appreciate them or even count our blessings. So here is what I am thankful for:

  • First and foremost, my wonderful family...Dad, for his big smile, constant support, love for my mom and siblings, and happiness that he brings to the family; Mom, for her huge heart, love for my Dad, siblings, and godson, ability to stay strong in every situation, tremendous work ethic, and amazing cooking skills; Jenn, for always being there for me no matter what day or time, for bringing such a beautiful and wonderful nephew into my life, being an amazing role model to both my brother and I, and always supporting me and my crazy life decisions; and Trent, for making me view life from a different angle, see the smaller things in life that are important, always being there to share a good laugh, and being supportive in every situation; and Buster, our fat and happy yellow lab...for bringing so much happiness into our family, especially my dad's and Trent's and most certainly, my late grandfather's.
  • My beautiful friends...I won't list them all b/c it will take all day and you know who you are! I have gained something from each friendship that I have formed in my life. At least one of you have lifted me up from the ground and pushed me to stand taller, told me how beautiful I am, taught me to love myself more, encouraged and/or motivated me to try new hobbies or activities, laughed so hard with me that our cheeks hurt, challenged me, been that shoulder or ear I needed to listen when I cried for hours, pushed me to take risks and not be sooo responsible all the time, b/c we learn from our mistakes, danced with me until my hips hurt, did something you did not want to do but did b/c I wanted to...for all of the reasons above, I am thankful for my friends.
  • My health...I have been lucky to have been blessed with good health thus far. Within this past year, I worked my butt off to lose 20 lbs...and I still have more to go! Everyday has been a struggle for me...b/c I tend to be an emotional eater. I can have very poor self-control at times too, especially when it involves summer BBQ food, cake, christmas delights, and cocktails to unwind with. But, when I hear other people's stories that are in their late 20's, I count myself lucky that I have never had to have a major surgery, never broken a bone, never had a cavity, worn glasses, never had braces (but i did have a horrible palate expander that traumatized me), or encountered any major illnesses as of yet.
  • Lastly, my job...I love being an occupational therapist! I feel lucky that everyday I am able to improve one's quality of life by providing them with the skills necessary for living, whether it's giving a patient a reacher/grabber to help them put their pants on b/c their broken hip will not allow them to reach their leg past 90 degrees, or simply giving a patient an adaptive cup so they can drink their juice b/c their arms are paralyzed...I feel blessed.

So enjoy your day tomorrow and please take a moment to tell someone how much you appreciate them...

Much love from Texas and Happy Thanksgiving Day!

3 comments:

  1. Very nice post Krsiti! Don't sell yourself short....you give a lot to others! Oh the cake...always been your downfall :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, Kristi! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are thankful for you Kristi! When life gets going rough around the Giles family we can ALWAYS depend on Kristi to make us laugh!!!!! Miss you at Thanksgiving...Thanks for your "thankfuls"....The world is a better place because of you....
    Love ya,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete