Sunday, November 1, 2009

"Now what in heck is a FLAPPER girl?" Bringing the 1920's back to Texas...


Another Halloween came and left! This year, I decided to take everyone back in time to a 1920's Flapper girl. I had a lot of fun creating the costume too! As my friend Kristen would say, "you are such a dork," but yes, I watched YouTube videos that displayed make up tutorials on how to apply 1920's-style make-up. I gained a bigger appreciation for these beautiful women after going through what I did to look the part. Flapper girls wore short skirts, bobbed their hair, listened to the new jazz music, and flaunted their disdain for what was considered acceptable behavior. They were seen by the public as brash for wearing excessive make-up, drinking, smoking, flirting, taking work outside of the home and driving automobiles, which basically challenged women's traditional social norms. Overall, a flapper was reckless, attractive, and independent (sound familiar?). This behavior redefined women's roles forever. We are the women we are today in part, because of these beautiful flapper girls! So...here i am...the finished product! I hope you all had a very safe and happy halloween and I look forward to y'alls photos as well!

3 comments:

  1. Wow you did a great job! It doesn't even look like you in the second photo! I went as Mommy to a dragon ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did do a good job Kristi! Really doesn't look like you but I do agree with you, Flapper Girl fits you!
    I'm sending Cole's photo's of Halloween ....he was such a doll the whole time....You will see him soon!
    Safe travels and onward to you new adventure!
    Proud of you, love ya,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. independant, reckless, flirtatious beauty! thats what i love about you! well only one sentence of what i think makes you unique and so very special!

    ReplyDelete