Wednesday, November 11, 2009

This is why I became an Occupational Therapist...

I walked into work today feeling as though it was going to be a good day from the moment I woke up. I am starting to feel comfortable with the paperwork, staff, organization of the department, and orientation of the hospital set-up. I am also starting to realize how much I really do love acute rehab. Your patients are with you for about 10-14 days, so it really allows you to really understand, appreciate, and watch your patients progress over that timespan. My very first "acute rehab evaluation" was on a little 89 year old man who recently lost his wife this past October. He fell this weekend and sustained a lumbar compression fracture. His wife would normally help him around the house, but ever since she passed, he has had to manage everything himself. He has managed to hide his grief behind a big beautiful smile and jolly laugh and will constantly joke with me about how "efficient" I am and work his "bottom" off. For an 89 year old, he is just as sharp and attentive as a young 20 year old. He has rarely mentioned his wife to me and I have not asked questions because it is a very tender subject and situation. So today, I was helping him with his morning routine (he is very impulsive with his rolling walker and has become very weak since he has fallen) and going about my buisiness when he told me to stop and looked at me intently with his gorgeous sky blue eyes and stated, "You know sweetheart, my wife used to help me button my shirt and get dressed but she's not here anymore." Tears quickly formed in his eyes and I didn't say anything...instead I put a hand on his shoulder and got down to his level and said, "I know, and that is why I am here...I want to help you get better so you can be back home living with your wife's memory, the way you want to." He then smiled and said, "You know, I don't know if anyone tells you this everyday, but I sure do appreciate you...your smile and the warmth of your hand just made my entire day, let alone month...i haven't felt that sense of peace since my wife passed." Needless to say, I started to cry. We often take too many things for granted in life. As I was once told by someone very special to me, "Smile everyday, because you never know who is appreciating it."

4 comments:

  1. awwwww......the papa's get me every time! luv you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, Kristi. It is so true...you never know what a little smile can mean to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta admit tears came to my eyes reading that post. When I was doing my paramedic thing I took a class on Reiki - I quickly learned that a palm on a shoulder or hand had just as much healing as weeks with the doctor! Keep up the good work Kristie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tears flowed with me too....It made me think of my resident who just passed and how I miss him...he called me his "angel"...and today we recieved pineapples from his son from Hawaii...I got home last night and looked up at the stars and knew he was watching me...they pass through our lives for a reason...the best is they make it all worth while doing what we do...someday maybe the favor will be returned. I say treat them as you would want to have someone treat your family member...keep that smile...
    Love ya!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete